Oklahoma Children’s Theatre is committed to providing an environment of education and learning and is proud to support opportunities for young people to remain involved with our organization.
What is it?
Our teen volunteers are responsible and motivated teens aged 14-16 years old, who work alongside our campers, teaching, and administrative staff in our camp programs. Volunteers will learn leadership skills, gain professional experience, be presented with creative opportunities, solve problems, and socialize in a safe and structured environment. Our volunteers are primarily ex-students who have aged out of our regular classes but want to stay involved with our organization.
What are the qualities of a good volunteer?
- Be a responsible, motivated, and a team player.
- Be willing to learn new skills, and approach challenging tasks with a positive attitude.
- Be passionate about children, the theatre, and the arts.
- Be respectful of diversity.
What do volunteers do?
Our volunteers are presented with a wide range of challenges, and its impossible to tell what challenges and problems lie ahead, however, all volunteers are expected to complete the following tasks.
- Interact with all campers in a positive manner.
- Provide general assistance during program and camp activities.
- Be an active participant in camp activities and lead by example.
- Help set up facilities with necessary materials: arrange tables, chairs, posters, etc.
- Help monitor the campers’ behavior during free time and report concerns to staff members.
- Assist during the snack and lunch breaks.
- Help with the cleanup effort and be willing remove trash, to clean spills, crumbs, etc.
- Assist with bathroom breaks and keeping campers together.
In addition, we may assign volunteers to specific roles depending on their own talents, experience, and interests, including assigning them to classes as junior assistants.
Are you eligible?
In order to ensure our volunteer program remains a productive part of our team, we’ve set a couple of guidelines for what we’re looking for. If you don’t meet the following criteria, our program probably isn’t for you.
- Will you be between 14-16 years of age during the program? Volunteers must have had their birthday by the time the program starts.
- Are you available to volunteer for the duration of the session? This is usually Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm. If you have conflicts, such as appointments, or can’t make the start and finish times, this may not be the program for you.
- Are you able to attend any mandatory training sessions?
- Do you have the qualities to be a good volunteer?
- Can you abide by the program rules? (Set out on Page 2 of the Volunteer Application Form.)
- Can you be an effective volunteer and positive role model?
How are volunteers selected?
While we do our best to provide volunteer opportunities, our volunteer programs fall outside the scope of our regular organizational mission and resources for the program are limited. Our camp environment is a safe and supportive one, however, we don’t guarantee ongoing supervision of volunteers. All volunteers are expected to be able to work responsibly and independently as necessary, and volunteers who demonstrate a need for greater levels of supervision may be asked to leave the program.
Please note, volunteer positions are often in high demand. Preference is given to existing students, members of our Youth Advisory Board, and volunteers who have demonstrated employment potential. While we appreciate returning volunteers, please realize that we may pass up opportunities to work with you so that new volunteers have an opportunity to participate.
Here are some questions that we consider:
- Has this person attended our program before, and to what extent? If so, how did they conduct themselves as a camper?
- Are they a member of our Youth Advisory Board, or have they volunteered with us in any other capacity? Were they an effective volunteer, a great team member, and a positive role model during that time?
- Does this person have other relevant volunteering or professional experience?
- Does this person demonstrate the Qualities of a Good Volunteer?
- Does this person work well with others, have leadership potential, and a positive attitude towards new tasks?
- Does this person have a background or passion, for the arts and theatre?
- Is this person able to abide by all of the program requirements and rules?
- Has this person submitted a completed application form, on the correct dates, complete with references?
How to apply
Our volunteer program plays an important part in all of our camp programs. This established program has been proven successful in creating engaging and meaningful experiences in our teens.
Applications for Summer 2020 are now open. Please visit our summer camp page for more information.